Arabic Name : Jawz Bawwaa & Bisbasa
Bengali Name : Jaiphal & Jaitri
English Name : Nutmeg & Mace
French Name : Muscadier & Macis
German Name : Muskatnussbaum & Muskatblüte
Gujarati Name : Jaiphal & Jawitri
Hindi Name : Jaiphal & Jawitri
Kannada Name : Jajikai & Jaipatri
Kashmiri Name : Jafal
Latin name : Myristica fragrans Houtt.
Marathi Name : Jaiphal & Jawitri
Persian Name : Gauzbua & Bazbaaz
Punjabi Name : Jaiphal & Jawitri
Sanskrit Name : Jatiphalam & Jatipatri
Urdu Name : Jaiphal & Jawitri
Description : Nutmeg and Mace both come from the nutmeg tree and are reported to be acrid, anaesthetic, analgesic, anodyne, anthelmintic, antiinflammatory, antispasmodic, aphrodisiac, aromatic, astringent, bitter, carminative, constipative, digestive, diuretic, exhilarant, expectorant, febrifuge, narcotic, rejuvenative, spermatogenetic, stimulant, stomachic, thermogenic, vermifuge, and as a nervine sedative used by psychiatrists. They are used in tonics and electuaries and are recommended for the treatment of inflammations of the bladder and urinary tract. They have a stimulating effect on stomach and intestines, increasing appetite and reducing nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea. They are a helpful remedy for many digestive problems, especially gastroenteritis. They increase sexual stamina and are useful in impotency and premature ejaculation. The volatile oil is aperient, carminative and stimulant.
Health benefits of nutmeg and mace :
Nutmeg is a small package with several big benefits. It’s used for prevention and healing of many known conditions. Here are some most common uses of nutmeg :
- Medically, nutmeg has strong antibacterial properties. It is effective in killing a number of cavity-causing bacteria in the mouth.
- Like cloves, nutmeg contains eugenol, a compound that may benefit the heart.
- Myristicin found in nutmeg has been shown to inhibit an enzyme in the brain that contributes to Alzheimer’s disease and is used to improve memory.
- It is used in small dosages to reduce flatulence [excessive stomach or intestinal gas], aid digestion and improve appetite.
- nutmeg is valued as an aphrodisiac [substance believed to increase sexual desire.
- Nutmeg can help to combat asthma.
- It is also used to relax muscles.
Recommended Dosage : Nutmeg : 200 mg to 1 g powder; Mace : 200 mg to 1 g powder.