Arabic Name : Khiyaar, Qathadh
Bengali Name : Khira, Shashaa
Chinese Name : Huang kua, Hu kua
English Name : Cucumber
French Name : Concombre
German Name : Gurke
Gujarati Name : Kakdi
Hindi Name : Kheera, Khira, Kakri
Kannada Name : Mullusavte, Sautekayi
Kashmiri Name : La\’aer
Latin name : Cucumis sativus Linn.
Marathi Name : Kakri, Kheera
Persian Name : Khayar, Khayarain, Khiyarza
Punjabi Name : Khira
Sanskrit Name : Sakusa, Kandalu, Trapusa
Urdu Name : Kheera, Kakdi
Description : The seeds are cooling, demulcent, diuretic, highly nutritive, tonic and vermifuge. Beneficial in cases of dyspepsia, painful discharge and suppression of urine. Also useful in suppressed post-partum lactation and seminal debility.
Health benefits of cucumber :
- Keep body hydrated
- Cucumber has 96% water content that is more nutritious than regular water, which helps in keeping the body hydrated and regulating body temperature. It also helps in flushing out the toxins from the body.
- The high water content, vitamins A, B & C and the presence of certain minerals like magnesium, potassium, and silica make cucumbers an essential part of skin care. Facial masks containing cucumber juice can be used for skin tightening. Ascorbic acid and caffeic acid present in cucumbers can bring down the water retention rate which in turn diminishes the puffiness and swelling under the eyes. Cucumber skin also can bring relief to the skin caused by sunburn or windburn.
- Fight cancers
- Cucumber are known to contain lariciresinol, pinoresinol, and secoisolariciresinol – three lignans that have a strong history of research in connection with reduced risk of several cancer types, including breast cancer, prostate cancer, uterine cancer, and ovarian cancer.
- Cucumber juice contains a lot of potassium, magnesium and fiber that work effectively for regulating blood pressure. This makes cucumber good for treating both low blood pressure and high blood pressure.
- Cucumber juice is also beneficial for people with teeth and gums problems, especially in cases of pyorrhea. Cucumber is a good source of dietary fiber and this fiber massage in the teeth and gums.
- Digestive disorders like acidity, heartburn, gastritis and even ulcers can be cured by the daily consumption of fresh cucumber juice. The high water content and dietary fiber in cucumber are very effective in driving away the toxins from the digestive system and hence aid digestion. Daily consumption of cucumbers can be regarded as a remedy for chronic constipation.
- Cucumber is an excellent source of silica, which known to help promotes joint health by strengthening the connective tissues.
- The cucumber juice has been found to be beneficial for the diabetic patients. This vegetable contains a hormone needed by the cells of the pancreas for producing insulin.
- Researchers found that some compound called sterols in cucumber may help reduce cholesterol levels.
Control Blood Pressure
Beneficial for teeth and gums
Promotes Joint health
Recommended Dosage : 5 to 7 g powder of dried seeds.
Contraindication : This herb has no known warnings or contraindications.