Arabic Name : Lift, Laft, Shalgham
Bengali Name : Shalgum
English Name : Turnip, Rape Seed
French Name : Navette
German Name : Rübsen, Rübsamen, Rübsaat
Hindi Name : Shalgam
Latin name : Brassica rapa Linn.
Marathi Name : Shiras, Shalgham
Persian Name : Shalgham
Punjabi Name : Gonglu, Thipper
Sanskrit Name : Raktasarshapa, Bhuitagama
Urdu Name : Shalgham, Shaljam
Description : Turnip seeds are aperient, diuretic and emmenagogue. They can be used to treat diarrhoea, wet coughs, sneezing and gas. Also useful in sexual debility and erectile dysfunction. Helps produce blood cells due to its high iron and copper content, purifies the blood and is considered to be an effective treatment for anaemia. Turnip is most effective in treating respiratory ailments. Its expectorant effect helps relieve coughs, hoarseness, sore throats, and bronchitis.
Here are health benefits of the turnip :
- Turnips, like other vegetables, are low in calories.
- Turnips are also a good source of calcium, phosphor and magnesium.
- Turnip greens are an excellent source of riboflavin, calcium and iron.
- Turnip lower the risk of obesity, high blood pressure, diabetes, and cancers of the stomach, pancreas, bladder, and lung.
- Turnip greens are supercharged with many different nutrients, their consumption can help prevent or heal a wide range of health conditions.
- Turnip has high vitamin C and has powerful antioxidants, antioxidants help curb free radicals and neutralizes destructive oxidation reactions.
- Turnip greens provide large amounts of these vitamins and minerals and are especially rich in folic acid.
- Turnip greens contain large amounts of lutein, which has been shown to help prevent cataracts and cardiovascular disease.
The root of the Turnip when eaten increases the body’s resilience to stress and illness.
Recommended Dosage : 3 g powder of dried seeds.
Contraindication : This herb has no known warnings or contraindications.